We have added this Traffic Enforcement Centre FAQ page to our website in order to answer the many questions that we receive from motorists via our helpline or  online Enquiry Form

Bailiff is enforcing  an unpaid PCN, does it mean that I have a  Judgment?

No it does not. Although an  unpaid Penalty Charge Notice (PCN), Dart Charge, Merseyflow etc can be enforced by a bailiff, there is no judgment recorded against you and your credit file will not be affected.

The Traffic Enforcement Centre phone lines are always busy.

A very common problem I’m afraid. The fault is in part due to local authorities, Dart Charge and Merseyflow etc telling motorists to telephone the Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC) to obtain forms TE7 and TE9 or PE2 and PE3 when instead; these forms can simply be download from their website !!

Will the Traffic Enforcement Centre give me the PCN number?

I’m afraid not. If you wish to speak with the Traffic Enforcement Centre, you will need to know the PCN number beforehand. The local authority, TfL, Highways England or Merseyflow  should provide this information to you. All PCN numbers start with two digits followed by 8 numbers.

I have an unpaid  Dart Charge that I did not know about

If you have been contacted by a bailiff regarding a Dart Charge that you had not known about (usually because you had moved address etc), you can request that the debt (and bailiff fees) be cancelled by submitting a Dart Charge Out of Time witness statement to the Traffic Enforcement Centre. Please consider contacting  us for advice before submitting these forms.

I have an unpaid Merseyflow that I did not know about

As above, a request to have the Merseyflow debt registration (and bailiff fees) cancelled can be made by submitting a Merseyflow Out of Time witness statement.

I have completed forms PE2 and PE2, but I need to get my signature witnessed on the forms

It can be difficult getting the forms witnessed. Your local County Court can witness your signature for you but many times, they will insist on a appointment being made. The court will not charge a fee. However, most people who we assist arrange for the forms to be witnessed at a local solicitors. There should be no need to make a appointment and a standard fee of £5 is charged.

I have emailed my Out of Time witness statement to the Traffic Enforcement Centre.  What happens now?

You should receive an email around 5 mins later acknowledging safe receipt of your forms. The email header will say TEC…Automated Response…DO NOT REPLY. If you have not received this, then it means that your application will not be processed.

Will the Traffic Enforcement Centre, inform me that bailiff enforcement has been placed on hold?

No they wont. The acknowledgment email from the Traffic  Enforcement Centre is confirmation that your Out of Time witness statement forms have been safely received and will be processed in the time scale outlined.

I sent my Out of Time forms to the Traffic Enforcement Centre before 4pm, when will they be processed? 

All Out of Time witness statement applications received at the Traffic Enforcement Centre by the ‘cut off’ time of 4pm, will be processed that day. TEC will inform the local authority, TfL, Highways England (in the case of Dart Charge) or Merseyflow of your application and instruct them to notify their relevant bailiff  company to place all bailiff enforcement on hold until a decision has been reached on your application (usually between 4-6 weeks).

When will the bailiff be told to place my account on hold?

As long as your Out of Time witness statement forms (TE7 and TE9 or PE2 and PE3) are sent to the Traffic Enforcement Centre by email before 4pm, they will be processed that day and it is usual for the bailiff enforcement to be placed ‘on hold’ the following weekday morning. However, if you submit your forms to TEC on a Friday afternoon, the enforcement company are unlikely to receive notification until Monday morning!!

How will I know  whether my Out of Time witness statement has been accepted?

You should expect to receive notification from the Traffic Enforcement Centre  of the decision approx 4-6 weeks after submitting your forms. If your application is accepted, you will receive a notice stating that the Order for Recovery has been revoked and Charge Certificate cancelled. The order will not cancel the penalty charge notice itself.  In most cases, a new Penalty Charge will be issued to your correct address around 2 weeks later.

The Traffic Enforcement Centre has refused my Out of Time witness statement

The following page from my website should assist you.

If I pay the bailiff, can I still submit an Out of Time witness statement?

Yes you certainly can. If your application is accepted, you will be entitled to a refund of the amount paid (including bailiff fees). If you encounter difficulty with obtaining a refund, please contact us.

I need help with completing the Out of Time witness statement forms TE7 and TE9 or PE2 and PE3

For 12 years we have been assisting motorists with drafting of Out of Time witness statements. Details can be found on this page of our website.

Commentary from Bailiff Advice Online

If you have any questions about the Traffic Enforcement Centre or you require help with drafting  of your Out of Time witness statement, you can email a question to us using our online Enquiry Form. Alternatively, you can contact us by phone. Details are on our Contact page.